The Blue Mosque
The mosque is popularly known as the Blue Mosque for the dominant blue tiles of its interior walls. However, the formal name of the mosque is Sultan Ahmed Mosque. It is one of historical mosque in Istanbul. It was built from 1609 to 1616. Like many other mosques, it also comprises a tomb of the founder, a madrasah and a hospice. While still used as a mosque, the Sultan Ahmed Mosque has also become a popular tourist attraction. The design of the Sultan Ahmed Mosque is the culmination of two centuries of both Ottoman mosque and Byzantine church development. It incorporates some Byzantine elements of the neighboring Aya Sophia with traditional Islamic architecture. It has 6 minarets along with and 1 main dome one and 8 smaller domes.
The Aya Sophia
Also pronounce as The Haiga Sophia. This historical building was a church, later a mosque, and now a museum. From the date of its dedication in 360 until 1453, it served as the Greek Patriarchal cathedral of Constantinople, except between 1204 and 1261, when it was converted to a Roman Catholic cathedral under the Latin Empire. The building was a mosque from 29 May 1453 until 1931. It was opened as a museum on 1 February 1935.
The Blue Mosque and the Aya Sophia are located next to each other in the heart of Istanbul, Turkey.